Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Baked Cheese Grits


Low Country Boil
Originally uploaded by weezienyc.

I spent the weekend with friends off the gulf coast in florida. While shrimp and grits is my usual go-to meal for beach vacations, I decided to change it up. So I served low country boil with baked cheese grits instead. Delicious!

Baked Cheese Grits
Makes 8 servings
6 cups water
2 1/4 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
2 cups yellow stone ground grits
2 cups whole milk
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 cups Cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
3 large eggs

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Bring water, 2 tablespoons butter, garlic, and 1 teaspoon salt to a boil in a 4-quart heavy pot. Slowly add grits, stirring constantly until they return to a boil. Reduce heat and gently simmer, stirring frequently for 20 minutes. Add 1 cup milk and continue to boil for 20 minutes.

Add butter, remaining 1 ¼ teaspoons salt, pepper, and cheese, stirring until butter and cheese are melted. Lightly beat eggs and milk, then stir into grits until combined.

Pour into an ungreased 8-inch square baking dish. Bake for 45 minutes until lightly browned.

2 comments:

Mike said...

I'm not sure of the route I took to arrive at your blog, but I love the subject matter.

I'm a grit lover and only eat stone ground grits, which I usually buy via mail order from a place in Charleston. I live in Florida (aka Snowbirdistan) and real grits are not to be found.

I look forward to working through some of your recipes and who knows, maybe I'll send you my awe inspiring recipe for grits with shrimp and tasso in cream sauce.

Keep up the good work...

sarahmcsimmons said...

Thanks so much. I'd love for you to send me your recipe and it would be great to get your feedback on any of the recipes! I should be posting a bunch of them in the coming weeks.